From The Archive – Photo Tour of the CAF Dixie Wing’s SBD Dauntless
WARBIRD RADIO – This particular SBD Dauntless is one of my all time favorites. When I was a child, this particular SBD was in the care of the Corpus Christi Wing of the CAF. During WWII my grandfather was a tail-gunner on a Dauntless similar to this one. When I was growing up, the SBD looked nothing like it does today (can you believe it was kept outside), but my grandfather loved it.
My family was involved with the wing back then, so dad routinely took my grandfather out to see his beloved SBD. It was his connection to the SBD that showed me what these airplanes truly represent.
Today, my grandfather is gone but his stories and his generation’s sacrifice is still known because of these flying memorials. The Dixie Wing of the Commemorative Air Force in Peachtree City, Georgia lovingly restored the SBD several years ago and today “it is as it was” during WWII. According to the Dixie Wing’s website the specs below are for their SBD Dauntless. Enjoy the photo tour (over 4 pages posted at the bottom of the page)!
FYI…you can take a flight on this Dauntless and help keep the history alive! Click the Quick Link for more information on the Dixie Wing and their flight experiences.
Warbird Radio LIVE!
QUICK LINK: Dixie Wing
- Crew: 2
- Length: 33 ft 1¼ in (10.09 m)
- Wingspan: 41 ft 6ï¿½…oe in (12.66 m)
- Height: 13 ft 7 in (4.14 m)
- Wing area: 325 ft² (30.19 m²)
- Empty weight: 6,404 lb (2,905 kg)
- Loaded weight: 9,359 lb (4,245 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 10,700 lb (4,853 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Wright R-1820-60 radial engine, 1,200 hp (895 kW)
- Maximum speed: 255 mph (222 knots, 410 km/h) at 14,000 ft (4,265 m)
- Cruise speed: 185 mph (161 knots, 298 km/h)
- Range: 1,115 mi (970 nmi, 1,795 km)
- Service ceiling: 25,530 ft (7,780 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,700 ft/min (8.6 m/s)
- Wing loading: 32.9 lb/ft² (140.6 kg/m²)
- Power/mass: 8.92 lb/hp (5.42 kg/kW)
- Guns: **2 × 0.50 in (12.7 mm) forward-firing synchronized Browning M2 machine guns in engine cowling
- 2 × 0.30 in (7.62 mm) flexible-mounted Browning machine gun in rear
- Bombs: 2,250 lb (1,020 kg) of bombs